In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Book Review: No Place to Fall by Jaye Robin Brown

No Place to FallNo Place to Fall
by Jaye Robin Brown
Release Date: December 9th, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Arc, 354 pages
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Get a Copy: 
      Amazon | B&N

Goodreads Summary: Amber Vaughn is a good girl. She sings solos at church, babysits her nephew after school, and spends every Friday night hanging out at her best friend Devon’s house. It’s only when Amber goes exploring in the woods near her home, singing camp songs with the hikers she meets on the Appalachian Trail, that she feels free—and when the bigger world feels just a little bit more in reach.

When Amber learns about an audition at the North Carolina School of the Arts, she decides that her dream—to sing on bigger stages—could also be her ticket to a new life. Devon’s older (and unavailable) brother, Will, helps Amber prepare for her one chance to try out for the hypercompetitive arts school. But the more time Will and Amber spend together, the more complicated their relationship becomes . . . and Amber starts to wonder if she’s such a good girl, after all.

Then, in an afternoon, the bottom drops out of her family’s world—and Amber is faced with an impossible choice between her promise as an artist and the people she loves. Amber always thought she knew what a good girl would do. But between “right” and “wrong,” there’s a whole world of possibilities.

Cindy's Review: 
At a Glance/The Cover:
Thank you so much to Katie @ Katie's Book Blogs for sending me this...along with a whole bunch of bookmarks. :)

I don't think the synopsis interested me much. But the cover looked good. Really good. And there was romance...so I decided to read it right away. 

The Characters/My Opinion:
Amber VaughnAt the beginning, I was really surprised at how this book turned out. Amber Vaughn? Good girl? Yeah, right. There was a whole bunch of talk about drug dealing and drinking. At one point, I was almost yelling at her asking what she's doing? Goodness gracious. Not trying to sound like old, but this girl is wild. And it's ironic how the blurb said she's a good girl. But it's true. Compared to the other characters, she's a good-two-shoes. But that's a part of growing up.

Amber's family had a lot of problems. She wasn't shy to tell us. She was just like 'Yeah, my family's messed up. Real messed up' And I agree. Which makes things a bit more realistic. People go to jail. There's drug dealing. Wild parties. Brown wasn't shy to put in the problems that happens throughout the country nowadays. Teenagers doing drugs, having sex? Totally happening!

So, in a way, this book reminds me of all the English literature books I have to read for the summer. They would talk about all the discrimination and problems US had. 

In No Place to Fall, Amber learns how to get through this and realize her dream. And how she fits into everything. 

Devon - Devon is Amber's gay best friend. Of course, he's gotta be cute. And funny and outgoing and super perfect. But he does end up liking someone and ditched Amber for awhile. I was disappointed in him, but he acted like any friend would. One should say, when you're friend's dating someone else, they won't be around you no longer. It's true. I've had it happen to me...

Will McKinney - I expected Will to be a bad boy from the way Amber described him. But he turns out to be a lot better than I thought. Their complicated, mashed up feelings and relationship is definitely worth reading about. I think I would read this whole book for these two. I loved seeing how Amber and Will sorted through their mess and tried to be together. 

Oh. And I forgot to mention. Will is Devon's older brother. But I think the summary states that also...

And then there's also others like Cheerleader Amber, Kush, and Sean that adds to the story. I really like C.A. It's hard to actually find a nice, friendly cheerleader whose supportive in books. 

Overall Thoughts: 
This was a book with a plotline that went to a full circle. That's a good thing. There was a beginning and an end. There was a problem. There was a solution. Everything is perfect. :) 

#ShipName: Willber Omg. I just feel like doing ship names now. :) Ship names are so cute~ Or do you guys like Wamber? Hmm. No. Wilber is like that pig in Charlotte's Web right? 

Okay. So a real cute story that deals with real life problems in a small town of Alabama or Mississippi. Not really sure, since all I remember is that she lives south of Tennessee. Try it~

The Rating: (1-10): 9~

Happy Reading~

7 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this one too! I was so excited when I saw it was on EW to request! I like how you said there was a plot that actually came full circle. That is a huge plus in my book! Great review Cindy! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it went full circle, sadly sometimes books really don't do that and feel incomplete.
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind perfect endings so much. I read for entertainment so I like a happy ending. I don't like reading books where there's a lot of drug use and drinking. I hate reading about someone on a downward spiral, but it doesn't sound like that's what happened here. It sounds more in line with what really goes on with teenagers, as you said. Nice to see you enjoyed this. Great review, Cindy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover to this book looks so cute Cindi, and I honestly can't wait to dive into my book, even though I have so many other review books that I need to finish. But I'm excited even more so now after reading your praising review! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad this was able to surprise you in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I'm not big on Contemporary, so I would never read it, but it sounds like something you enjoyed!

    Thanks for stopping by my STS @ Addicted Readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a book that I would love! I'm definitely going to read it. Awesome review! Looking forward to more by you! :)
    Book Maniac Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!