In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy #2)
by Jennifer Nielsen
Release Date: March 1st, 2013
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: YA Fantasy
Format: Hardcover, 331 pages
Source: Karen
ISBN: 978-0-5452-8415-8
Get a Copy: B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Summary: A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King.


Cindy's review: The ending of the first book make me speechless. Gasping for air. I had a big 'ohmygawd' moment. Like what a surprise. Oh. And I interviewed Jennifer Nielsen. So excited! But she hasn't replied yet. ;( 

I love how the Transcendence trilogy covers match each other so. ;)  The False Prince showed a broken crown. And this one shows a broken sword. There was a scene in the False Prince with a broken crown in it. And there is a scene in The Runaway King with a broken sword.

Jaron - For some reason, I keep calling him Sage. I feel like Sage just suits him better. Maybe it's because I first met him as Sage. Or maybe I just don't really like the name Jaron. ;/  Jaron is cocky. And I mean cocky. He's a smart ass, with a mouth that can basically get himself murdered. But aside to being cocky, he's also witty. He would get himself out of is own death. But his personality, ( basically cocky + witty, but also brave ), would definitely walk him to his own grave. He sees a trap coming, he would want to walk right in the trap. His challenge is to get out. With his girlfriend safe in his hands.....

Imogen - Imogen wasn't a big part of The False Prince. She appeared in a few scenes. You can sense an interest in her through Jaron or Sage but that was it. Imogen I really don't know how to pronounce her name  appeared more in this scene. In fact, she may be the reason Jaron walks himself right into his enemy's hands. Literally. I'm not really a super big fan of the relationship between Imogen and Jaron. I just don't ship this couple, but I have to problem with it either. Jaron is just simply perfect.

I was impressed by how Jaron flips everything and played his enemy by using his enemy's friend's to kill his enemy. Yeah. I have no idea what I just said. Really.  Either way, let's just conclude this statement by saying JARON IS SUPER SMART> AND HOT. Okay. I really can't think of Jaron as hot. Like I feel like he's my brother at times. The Jaron character is definitely not based on hotness. The author does not mention his looks a lot. I really think it's his awesome personality.

Let's just say, Jaron is a fun entertainer and you'll most likely be falling in love with his witty comments and courageous adventures. 

;) Sorry no quotes for this review. I borrowed it from my friend who bought this book when it was first released. And I promised her I would finish it in one day. Oh and in case you're wondering why I took so long to read it, since I'm reviewing it now, I just take FOREVER to review it. LOL.  There was already a line of friends to read her book, but like I cut the line and got to read it first! ;) Cuz I was closer to her. And everyone knows I read fast, and the other people didn't complain since they know I read fast. haha. okay. yep. I'm such a show-off.

Oh yeah. And I really suck at summarizing books in a review. So I don't even bother. But somehow, I get A's in summaries for English. ;)

The Rating: (1-10): 9.6~ 

Happy Reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!